Israeli filmmaker in hiding as protesters outraged by portrayal of Prophet Muhammad
Published: 12 September, 2012, 12:20
Edited: 12 September, 2012, 18:28
The Israeli-made movie “Innocence of Muslims” which mocks the Prophet Muhammad has caused outrage among ultra-conservative Muslims [should be read as “Muslims” without the “ultra-conservative” otherwise all Muslims are ultra-conservative]. US missions have been attacked in Egypt and Libya where an American was killed. The director has gone into hiding.
“Islam is a cancer, period,” writer and director Sam Bacile told The Associated Press by phone speaking from an undisclosed location.
A California real estate developer who identifies himself as an Israeli Jew added that his film was meant to be a provocative political statement condemning Islam.
The two-hour movie, financed with the help of more than 100 Jewish donors, basically claims Muhammad was a fraud, showing Islam’s prophet as a philanderer who approved of child sexual abuse, among other sins.
56-year-old Bacile said he believes Innocence of Muslims, which reportedly cost $5 million to make, will help his native land by exposing Islam’s flaws to the world.
On Tuesday night protesters angry over Bacile’s film burned down the U.S. consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi killing US ambassador to Libya, J.Christopher Stevens, while protesters in Cairo scaled the walls of the US embassy in Egypt replacing an American flag with an Islamic banner.
The film was dubbed into Egyptian Arabic by someone the director allegedly doesn’t know, but he speaks enough Arabic to confirm that the translation is accurate. It took Bacile three months to make his film, with 59 actors and about 45 people behind the camera.
The director said it has been shown only once, to a mostly empty theater in Hollywood earlier this year.